Saturday, January 14, 2006

One flu over the AAATISSSHOOOOOs fest

Last week was an important week in my career. I've been asked to head a new team which would be spread across South India. This is what every executive looks forward to, to have his/her own brood to watch over. The first thing I realised was that there was nothing on earth that could really prepare you for this moment, pretty much like fatherhood. You've read about it, you've seen others do it, you think, hmmm I can do a better job of it than that feller but when you come face to face with it, you just hope you don't look like the blathering idiot you feel like.

It all started with an announcement early this week. I was to set up a smart team of executives to run a specific business in South India. One always wants to make an entrance into such a scenario like Superman but reality can be a cruel thing coz it points out to 'Superman' that his underwear is showing. I've spent the whole of first week, checking if my metaphorical underwear was indeed showing. You want to appear as a fresh face yet appear to know all the ropes. You should appear to take stunning and decisive decisions yet appear like the weight of the world was in your shoulders in water cooler 'been there done that' chats.
BOOO
Currently there is only one person in this team and once he heard the news he promptly came around to offer his congrats. I looked at him with fondness, my first reportee! I would enjoy watching this one grow up. (The first little one is always special isn't it? Btw 'reportee' is my own term, you won't find it in a dictionary, this is not that kinda blog anyways) My new reportee promptly dropped a dozen issues in my lap, I sighed like a proud father would and shook my head, a boss' work is never done.

I quickly realised that being a boss is all about bladder control. You see, most issues that come in for a decision are either life threatening or inane, the problem is in understand which is which. Seemingly inane issues started to blow up during the course of an hour so by the end of the first day I had decided that if I didn't pee in my pants I would be happy. Things have gotten better over the course of the week but not by much. Tip to new bosses: Keep away from water during your first day!

Interviews. I love interviews, you see I've been a salesman for a long time. I've come to realise though that being an interviewer rather than an interviewee is a whole different thing. After 10 years of meeting interviewers and giving them a grand story (oh come on, does anyone speak the truth in interviews?), I now have no clue as to whether the interviewee is being genuine or handing me a line. So out of a dozen people I've interviewed over the week, I've been able to short list only one. Call it paranoia but I just can't seem to meet the right kind of candidate. You see one needed to get a person who not only fitted the role but also should be able to transition to the next level eventually. Whoever I hire, I not only need to ensure that I get maximum productivity from them at the same time ensuring that they have a good time working here and that their career goals are met. Some would argue that working and having a good time are mutually exclusive, I can see sense in that argument, heck I was the chief proponent of that argument! It all changes I guess with being the head of a team. Now I've decided to reach office a good half an hour before it starts, cut short my lunch 'hour' and also put an end to my near famous time-outs (As a de-stresser at times I just drop everything I'm doing and walk out of office for longish periods of time. I usually end up with a new book in a coffee shop). I know I have to set the right example and have the right energy levels. I don't want to be that whiney loser who sets rules for everyone but for himself. Heck there would be no rules if I can have it my way, just specific examples if you catch my drift.
hi
Anyway, there were some pleasant moments this week too. On Thursday, I caught up with fellow blogger and pal Lubu of the Writer's Cyberslate fame and her interesting friend Abi, at the Koshy's restaurant in Bangalore. I hardly remember the conversation though, since earlier that day I had woken up at 3 am to catch a flight from Chennai to Bangalore, by the evening I was smashed. All I remember was I had a steak & onions and that I kept blabbering about what I had done at work. Thanks Lubu for being a patient listener.
hows
After this long week which included two days of travel. I landed in the Chennai airport with a tired body and mind. To add to the pile, I had caught the flu somewhere in Bangalore on Friday. Dad had come over to pick me up from the airport. As he drove he told me that there was a bunch of relatives had landed up at home for the weekend, so I would have to sleep in the couch. Ferpect!
you
It's Sunday evening and I'm dreading the coming week as I sit here sneezing into tissue papers and writing this post. I remember Sunday nights when I used to sit at home worrying about my school homework, there were Sunday nights when I had to worry about my boss' review too. I didn't quite figure that I'd be sitting here worrying about being a good boss, but I am.

6 comments:

shana p. said...

congrats on the new job - sounds exciting!!!

Lubna said...

Was I a patient listner? Well, your stories were interesting. You sure are enthu about this new role and all the best.
Wow, wish I could laminate this comment on me (a patient listner) and post and pin it on the softboard where I sit....I actually sit facing the wall like Dennis the Menace (maybe my boss deliberately chose this seating spot for me). You down with flu? I have been ill as well... stuffy nose, headache.... today was an awful day...Perhaps we caught this at Koshy. Take care, rest if you can - take a day off (look who's talking)... so now I shall shut up and sign off.

-c said...

I haven't come to visit Life and other such events for so long (sorry!), but this was a great post to return to! It was really funny, and filled with the good news of your new challenge! Congratulations!
Now, I'm off to read everything I missed...

R. said...

cheesey, thanks!!

lubu, hope you feel better...it wasn't Koshy's but Lalitha's paratha point on friday night that gave me the cold

-c, Thanks & Welcome back! I don't even read what I write so I can understand lol.

Lubna said...

And do you guys have a system of upward feedback or worse still appraisals.... shudder -- it is tough being a boss. R- just chill, you will do fine.

the cowlick said...

aww! such a sweet post.. the entire father-boss analogy. you're too funny, j!