Sunday, July 10, 2005

My resume

How do you write about your life in two pages?

I've found that every time I prepare a resume, I always sit back with an unsatisfied feeling that the words don't really convey the journey that my work life has been.

For instance, how could I write about my first and only work crush seven years ago? This girl for whom I would copy a dozen unwanted pages everyday so that I could pass by her cubicle or about the many stolen moments we shared. And not to mention the broken heart that I nursed for a love that went sour only till I found out that it was only my ego that hurt.

The first time I acquired a customer, the sense of elation that made me run 4 blocks to my office, jumping and screaming, being in love with the world at large, are there any formal words that could ever do justice to this moment?

What about Pratap? The best boss I ever will have. The man taught me that there is a life outside work and success is not all about climbing corporate ladders but also about taking time to talking to his little sons in the middle of a busy schedule, just to know that dad was available all the time. He'd fill a good paragraph or two.

Where would I fill in about pain I went through when I was back-stabbed for the first time for reasons I still cannot fathom. And about the friends who helped me through it all as we sat drinking beer in a cheap bar, like countless other days very early in our careers, narrating the day's events and staring ahead into what looked like a bleak future. Being each other's crutch and sharing our thoughts. Wouldn't it be nice to write about such a cameraderie? Or could the pride we have for each other's achievements, small or big, a be testimonial of some kind?

I would just have to mention about the time when a group of people from a religious organisation instantly kneeled down and prayed to God, in my little cubicle, just because I told them that their banking requirements would be met. They had met 6 other banks before and almost had given up. Wouldn't the pride I had that day for my organisation be nice reading?

The long nights spent entering numbers after numbers in a spreadsheet, the countless hours in with thee photocopy machine and the many days of running papers from the bank to the customer's office, all as a fresh trainee, thinking that these very acts would change the world. My mind also wanders to the many thousand cups of coffee that I've drank trying to jump start an idea or start off a day in top gear. These sort of things need a worthy mention too, don't you think?

How about the wonderful friendships developed as I traveled across our beautiful country, the people I've met, the conversations I've had or the many acts of kindness that poeple often do to me. Or about those amazing people who have come and gone in my life and the ones that have stayed. These do crave a word or two.

The collective triumphs, the major losses or the mundane days that filled my life, sadly, there is no column to write about them in my resume. The complex business negotiations, the sweet taste of a winning a deal, the salary days, the many embarrassing birthdays, the days when the boss is not in town, the rainy days, I just could go on! These are wonderful moments but they too find no place in this piece of document.

I would love to write about Srikumar, my dear friend, colleague and smoking buddy, he passed away at the age of 33 on 27th January 2000, due to a severe heart attack, just days after he had seen our organisation through safely after the Y2K problem. He left behind a young wife and a five year old daughter.

Srikumar's unique brand of wisdom and strong point of view always clashed with mine, as we smoked in front of our office everyday. He would explain the benefits of Amway and I would bait him, this became our daily discussion point, often one trying to out wit the other. He was also the second youngest Ham radio licensee in India. He had led a full life and was a very good man, one chilled out dude till the last and a nice friend. Could I write about how my fingers could never light another cigarette at work after he died?

I would rather write about these in my resume, than some boring details about where I worked and what I did.

13 comments:

Hedonisia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hedonisia said...

Hey R,
Chill! your resume is NOT your life.

In my teacher's words, "Your resume describes you in easiest and detailed manner."

In my words, "Your resume is just another piece of paper which could never describe you."

So your OPENING sentences do not carry any meaning.

About the other part of the MY RESUME post - these are the blessings of your life. Count them and be happy.

Back-stabbing is part of any organisation. There is no adage as "Live and Let Live" - Here in all the organisations, the adage is "Live and Kill if it helps you two steps on the rung."

You might want to talk to those people who invented the whole deal of "resume" - AND if you find their address please send it across to me too, I have something of my own to tell those people!!!

And in the end I would leave you with Guns and Roses' "Don't You Cry Tonight"

So cheer up buddy. You have to face all those gravediggers tomorrow.

R. said...

agnostia, it was just a whimsical trip down memory lane as I was reviewing my resume. Nothing more :)

Zahra, yes, I very much prefer face to face interviews.

-c said...

Thanks for this excerpt from the resume! I know the full one could fill a book...or three!
For prospective employers, though, sometimes, small doses and teasers are perfect!
Personally, I'd say it takes a lot more than even 700 pages to KNOW someone, and learning what's in their heart takes another 15,238 pages!
Keep updating your informal resume!

shana p. said...

what a great post - it contains the humanity that resumes don't!

R. said...

-c, 15,238?? thats it? you are cramping my style! What if i had multiple personalities?? heh

cheesey, yeah...sometimes resumes contain too much of humanity too. One time I got a resume of a guy (who had applied for a job with us) and we had asked for a passport size photograph. The dude sent a large size photograph of him posing proudly in front of his house, arms in his hips with a wide smile. I still have no clue what he was thinking!! We still use that picture if we need a laugh.

Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

so beautifully written ...
in these days of frequent job-switching I wonder if we have really the time to think about all this but u have managed to bring back all my memories - of my first Boss, of my first code review besides many more things...
sad to know 'bout ur friend and that last sentence 'bout never again lighting a cigarette was really moving.

Mukta Raut said...

Resume: Veni, vedi, vici....that's it.

R. said...

thanks swati :)

mukta, i prefer veni vedi visa

neha said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Janaki said...

hmmmmm .. resumes are like much else these days.. it needs to packaged (read written )well.. whether or not content inside really matters or not.. its superficiality that is more important..
but thats even more a reason why we tend to find it difficult to write them.. :)

neha said...

I read thru the article and then wrote a very hasty reply, rather urgent in its tone and content. The result being that it turned out into a piece of writing I wouldn’t want to read again.
Here is a response written with a tad bit more of care and respect towards people reading it.

Standing in my shoes, it was amusing to read about your remarks on a CV. I put that opinion to your progressing age, the gradual descent to a life in your respective ‘comfortable zones’. In fewer words, you are old guys!
I had sent and recently received responses to my CV to larger organizations in my area of growing expertise. All were negative, there a quite a lot pf people out there who are more flexible than a full time student, with a lot more experience. I am not too shocked, because I almost understood this scenario. It would have been a lucky break tho, and it is never nice to get rejected. I sent some more CVs for vacation work, and since none have been successful I would be sending some more.
Some of my CVs did do their job and I did get work as a casual after school-hours carer. It was a fascinating job, if you have been with primary school hour kids who are not supposed to be ‘free’. Innocent of all malice, but not kind either, intelligent, fresh, it was fun working with them. But the hours were so random that I quit, at the first chance. I got about 2 months of steady work at the university after hours lab. A bit of tutorial work as well, for a couple of hours a week, but this lasted for a semester.
Now I am back again, thinking of writing more CVs – customizing it to each company, looking at sample CVs which make me wonder why I would be writing a CV if I could mention things like those. One for part time work during the semester and another hopefully for something closer to my career. I should have been typing that CV for the book shop I think I should be applying to, but here I am procrastinating as usual.

Ah guys, for the likes of me, CVs are survival tools. You seem to be looking at it in a very different light.

1conoclast said...

R,

I have seen so many people who bother about writing back to negative reactions to their posts.

You seem to so lightly just brush them off. Admire your "Sthirtha".