Saturday, May 22, 2010

Hug your Mother

This is a short one, I have been extremely busy the last week and a half, hence no posts, next week hopefully should be a lot better.

Just a small note to remind you dear reader that, even as I write this or as you read this, there is someone important in our lives who we love (and loves us) that we have taken for granted, haven't called or spent time with or just let them know that you care. As the cliche goes, life is too short, give them a call or better yet, spend sometime with them, now.

All my life, the one person I've taken for granted a whole lot is my Mother. There are stuff that I've always wanted to do with her, like lots of road trips or travel abroad but I've always pushed to some faraway time in the future since I never could find the time. But now that she has stage 4 cancer, it is hard not to think of those lost moments in the past. I can't think of a moment in my life when I needed some help or thoughts or ideas that she hasn't been around to provide it.

She is one of the coolest people I know, an intellectual, a voracious reader, a leader, a great teacher, a tough administrator, a progressive (and a conservative, she is quite the unique blend) a modest person and all in all a really fun person to be around. She always told me that she is extra careful about doing good things every since she had children because, she firmly believes that the good the parents do benefit the children. Given my past, where I was a total loser through school and college, I know there has been an angel looking over my shoulder, helping me clean up my mess and become something of a decent human being.

She's just 64 and it seems to be quite unfair but the one person who has been the strongest throughout this has been her. Everyone tells me that they are inspired by her courage, for me everything she does is just brilliant. And as I prepare to drive down to spend the weekend with her in the hospital, where she got admitted yesterday, all I can think of is it's so damn tough seeing her suffer. After working hard all her life, raising two kids, managing a home along with dad, getting two of her sister-in-laws married, being a Professor and then becoming a Principal of four different colleges often traveling long hours to get to work, I don't think she's ever had some time for herself in a very long time. I keep wishing that I could go back in time and force her to take more time for herself or take that holiday with my Dad that they always planned to go but never did. There are a lot of things that I wish I could do but for now the only thing I can do is sit with her.

(Please remember her in your prayers. Not sure why I wrote this, I didn't intend to write so much but the words just tumbled out. Not deleting them or editing them).

2 comments:

Wabbster said...

I think the last time I saw your mother was on Shifrah's birthday. She looked so cheerful that day that for a moment I didn't believe that she had cancer, let alone stage 4.

She's strong, for sure. I wish all the best to her and you. :)

Hilary said...

I'm sorry to hear that your mother is ill, Rabin. It's a rough road. Sending my best thoughts to you and yours.