Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Month End

I walked into office fashionable late as usual, talking on the cell phone.

"F**K YOU!!" screamed a colleague, I cowered, only to realise that this choice epithet wasn't hurled at me but at some poor down the line sales guy on the phone. As I walked past the row of cubicles, I heard a once sweet voice yell "I want ten f**king files approved before lunch, I don't care what you do!", this was a free spirited sales head, who is a nice enough lady on normal days. Somewhere else a whiney voice yells “don’t tell me you guys had f**king rains in Cochin too, I tell you, you are an A*****e! Don't even dream of an incentive this month!”

In another corner a credit officer slams the phone down with a muted curse. Telephones ring everywhere.

As the day goes on, the temperature rises, blood pressures shoot up and the curses get more colourful.

Another normal day like any other during the month end.

People in most sales driven organisations exist from one month end to another. If the month end figures are good, then the review that happens post facto won't be so bad. If the month end figures are below par, then shame and ridicule are things that can be expected. Exceeding targets also comes with its own curse, the target for next month is sure to be revised higher thanks to the good performance. A classic catch-22 situation if ever there was one.


Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Across years, the screaming voices change but the messages remain the same.

What have we achieved? What have we created? What have we learnt? Seated in my workstation in the middle of all the chaos, I reflected deeply on these questions while I played with my toy cars.

6 comments:

shana p. said...

wow... I think I would hide under the desk! Love the end with the toy cars :)

Lubna said...

I am much better than your colleagues. I have just got a poster where a small tiny puppy, looks up to a great dane and says the "F" word. So instead of uttering such things, I merely look up at my poster several times a day. Don't know how long the poster will last, I will be asked to remove it soon (I am so sure of that). Maybe I should scan it and put it on my blog for others to borrow.

R. said...

Never said I didn't like my job. I do. The energy that it has can be very addictive. There are a lot of ways of doing something and I believe some of us do things differently.

Zaa, Cheesey, lubu & DB, thanks for your comments, hope all is well :)

Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

oh a peek into the banking sector to which i'm an alien.
the words do seem to get colorful :)) but luks like the place wud b buzzing with activity unlike us IT ppl which is for the most part mundane!

the cowlick said...

Wow.. I like your workplace.. at least people talk!

Anonymous said...

where i get more info?