Friday, February 17, 2006

A bad day

Yesterday was a bad day. It's one of those days when you know things are gonna go downhill the minute you wake up. Even the gay bird (gay=happy, bird=bird) which usually sings a happy tune outside my window seemed to be mouthing the F word at me that AM. (Fark you too tweety!). I went to work with a sinking optimism that something might happen during the course of the day to change my bleak outlook. Lo behold (always wanted to use that in a sentence), things took a turn for the worse with every passing hour.

Afer four unsuccessful and frustrating meetings later, I and my two colleagues decided that the day was a complete wash out. In our line of work we have either spectacularly successful meetings or those that make you wonder what the heck you are doing with your life (shortly and not so affectionately called wthyadwyl). So after four wthyadwyls we were emotionally battered and bruised as we made our way back to office on a wing and more than a few cuss words. Things weren't great at office either, I had a dozen issues waiting for me in my inbox and surprise surprise, none of them could be resolved immediately.

A hurried and bad lunch which had started showing it's effect by late evening didn't do much to salvage the mood. My colleagues and I kept looking at each other, then finally decided to call it a day early. Both the guys made their way back home to their wives and kids, knowing fully well that in a few minutes their mind would be taken off the events of the day. They would be in their comfort zone. Some families are great stress busters (and some not so much). I had no one waiting for me back home, so I took a walk down Residency Road, feeling a little sorry for myself. I liked being alone but sometimes every person needs someone to go back home to, to feel needed and to connect. I hated such thoughts as I've always felt this was way too sappy, plus people who feel this way end up rushing into marriages that they deeply regretted later and that scared me more than anything else. What a thought! *Shudder*

A humongous bra fluttered from a shrub by the side of the road, even this failed to make me smile as it normally would have. Every tall tree I passed sheltered a homeless person or family looking for a hand out. In this noveau rich city of Bangalore, all the money that is made hasn't changed the lives of those who need it the most. There are more homeless people every year yet we gush about the 'development' and the 'advancement' that this city has seen. I couldn't help but shake my head, as I walked past, I can't blame others if I don't blame myself. A prickly social concience was all I needed on a day like this. Sigh.

As I neared the end of Residency Road, I saw a familiar neon sign. The Pub World. A low key, no nonsense pub I used to hang out, usually to catch a game, more than 5 years ago. I thought, heck, might as well grab a drink and some dinner. I walked in and as my eyes got adjusted to the dark interiors, I heard an exclamation of joy. From within the pub, arms outstretched was this bartender in knew from five years ago, Selvam. "Saarr, How are you saar?" he said. I smiled and replied. It was very nice of him to remember me after 5 years. He told me that he was one of the floor managers now as he showed me to a barstool in front of their big TV on the bar, my favourite spot in the pub (he even remembered that!). He gave specific instructions to the young bartender to ensure that he took special care of me. I was chuffed and grinning ear to ear. As I downed a beer and some tasty fish kebabs, Selvam made frequent trips to my spot to have a quick chat. He showed me pictures of his son, who was now going to the 4th Standard. I remembered that five years ago we were discussing which school would be the best for his child. He had huge ambitions for the kid.

After an hour of conversation, great food and some good old rock music, I bid goodbye to Selvam & Pub World, more at peace with myself. I needed to sleep to prepare for another long day.

Sometimes, in life we clutch at straws to get through the difficult days and these straws come by in many strange ways. We get by.

4 comments:

shana p. said...

glad you had a good ending to a rough day - nice post!

the cowlick said...

Great post, r. And yes, at the end of the day, most of us have small needs. Little things make us happy, especially when there's little to look forward to. Sometimes it just takes a good walk and a chilled beer to make us forget our sorrows, and feel connected again.

-c said...

And, isn't it odd how finding that needed straw usually involves stepping out of the ordinary routine with no expectations...? Redeeming moments like that usually come to me when I've side-stepped for a moment, almost unintentionally, and-BAM!- I remember, Oh, yeah, that's what it's all about! I guess they call it serendipity...

R. said...

cheesey, my days are roller coasters...some days like yesterday are good coz I can solve most of the issues that come my way.

cowlick, thanks, i agree, little things do make us happy and feel connected, but dontcha feel really guilty when at times you just wanna disconnect and sit on that rock all by yourself! I do!

-c, for me blogging has been stepping out of the ordinary and trust me this has been an awesome experience.