Sunday, June 05, 2005

A real life incident in a coffee shop not so long ago..

Another real life narrative. I always have the feeling that they seldom make for interesting reading to someone else but I just couldn’t resist writing about this incident.

Earlier this evening I walked into this new coffee shop and all I wanted to do was to have an espresso, a chocolate chip cookie and be on my way. Every time I visit one of these trendy coffee shops I wind up in a very familiar scenario, wonder if any of you share a similar experience. So without further ado, here's how it went..

Counter Guy: Good evening, Can I take your order?
Me: Yes, I'd like an espresso and a chocolate chip cookie please
Counter Guy: (Looking Up) but... that’s without milk..
Me: (Thinking oh boy here we go again) Yeah, I know that..
Counter Guy: If you would like a coffee with milk I could give you a Latte, its strong
Me: No, no thanks.
Counter Guy: Well if you would like a lighter coffee you could try a Cappuccino
Me (smiling patiently): Well, but I want an espresso
Counter Guy: Can I interesting you in a Café Americano instead?
Me: But isn't that like plain black coffee?
Counter Guy (smiling widely): Yes, that’s right. Espresso is very strong…
Me: But I want an espresso...
Counter Guy: Ok, would you like to try some new kinds of coffee beans? We have Kenyan, Jamaican, would you like to smell the beans (Thrusting a container of coffee beans at me)
Me: No, just the regular espresso please (Glancing at the watch, hoping he took the hint)
Counter Guy: Ok, one espresso and one chocolate chip cookie, isn't it?
Me: (Nod Gratefully)
Counter Guy: Would you like to try our brownies instead of the cookie? ( Looks at me, I think it was the gritting of my teeth that told him that my ability to speak had come to a screeching halt) OK, is that all?
Me: (Blank stare)
Counter Guy: (Hands me the change and the bill nervously) Have a nice day
Me: (mumbling) Yeah right, thanks.

No wonder they say an espresso gets you all worked up. Now, I don't blame the counter guy; he was just doing his job. It’s me, I guess I just don't look like an espresso drinker . Sigh.

2 comments:

R. said...

It was a new Barista outlet here in Chennai (atleast I think it's new). And yes the dude was just doing his job. Maybe I should hand him a print out of this post the next time i order coffee.

shana p. said...

these are the situations I find myself in yelling at the poor person behind the counter and then I am the bad guy.... I need to take a lesson from your politeness + patience!